Nafees Hamid accused of attacks at private Priory Hospital, in Edgbaston, and Queen Elizabeth Hospital……
The case of a doctor charged with multiple counts of sexually assaulting female patients at two hospitals has been adjourned.
Nafees Hamid, of Moseley in Birmingham, is accused of 11 charges of assaulting women at the private Priory Hospital, Edgbaston, run by BMI Healthcare and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham between January 2011 and June 2013.
Hamid, appearing today at Birmingham Crown Court, was expected to enter pleas to those charges but prosecutors said more time was needed to prepare the case.
Peter Grieves-Smith QC, for the prosecution, said: “The position is that there are matters just served, in particular the defendant’s interviews just after his first arrest, and medical records as well.”
He asked for a three-week adjournment, which was granted by Judge Patrick Thomas QC. A prospective trial date of September 1 was also set down, with proceedings expected to last three weeks.
The 50-year-old neurosurgeon is employed by University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, which launched an internal investigation last year after the allegations came to light.
The outcome of that investigation will await the conclusion of criminal proceedings.
A Trust spokesman confirmed that Hamid remains suspended from working at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Hamid, who is on conditional bail, will appear back at the city’s crown court on May 16 for a plea and case management hearing.
See on www.birminghammail.co.uk